Christian Brethren Assemblies Jamaica

Emmanuel Chapel

 emmanuelchapel

Address
Corner of Vernon's Drive & Roger's Crescent
P.O.Box 829, Montego Bay, St. James. Jamaica

Telephone
(876) 971-5856

Email
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Website
[empty]

The Emmanuel Chapel Assembly, established in 1959 was born out of a spiritual outreach by the late Hugh Leslie Clacken.
Approximately 53 years ago Brother Clacken formally of Kingston, was transferred to the parish of St. James, in the Civil Service. Upon his arrival to Montego Bay he went about the task of seeking to establish an Assembly of Brethren. The then site of North Western Academy, 47 Market Street, Montego Bay was the location where Gospel Services and Prayer Meetings were held. This was facilitated by the generosity of the operators of the school, the late Bro. & Sis. Ted Edwards.
The small group of believers soon moved to the Town Hall, which housed the court house and offices of the Parish Council in Charles Square (now renamed Sam Sharp Square).
The Mt. Salem area where Bro. Clacken resided in 1959, was the community in which he pitched a tent in close proximity to the site of the present Chapel.
Among the early members of the fellowship were: The Late Bro. Hugh Clacken and family, the late Bro. & Sis. Ted Edwards, the late Bro. & Sis. Walter Rose, the late Bro. Moody, Mrs. Jen Lim Sang (nee Wong) and Dr. Joseph Wint who came to Montego Bay to join the faculty of one of our leading High Schools – Cornwall College, all gave valuable assistance to the growth of the Assembly.
The Assembly at Emmanuel was Born
The parcel of land at Vernon's Drive and Rogers Crescent was purchased and Emmanuel Chapel was built. Though challenging, with much prayer, sacrificial giving of believers, gifts from home and abroad, the job was completed. The benches and a substantial portion of the woodwork in the chapel were done by Bro. Vincent Mason of Port Maria. Subsequent to the dedication of the chapel, (which was officially opened on Tuesday, May 24, 1960) crusades were held; beginning with Evangelist Harold Wildish that lasted for three weeks. Many gave their hearts to the Lord.
In later years Bro. Aubrey McGann and Bro Sam Hart from USA, Bros. Ed Allen, Tom Roberts, Rex Major, along with their families from the Bahamas featured in countless evangelistic efforts that impacted the lives of many, winning souls for Christ, through the transforming power of the gospel of the Grace of God.
Emmanuel Chapel grew rapidly to about 200 believers, but the greatest was the Sunday school which grew to 500. The growth in numbers, both in Sunday school and the Assembly challenged the leadership to extend the facilities, and in time a wing was added allowing for a basement, which was used primarily for youth activities.
During the 70's the leadership consisted of the late Bros. Ted Edwards, Walter Rose, and Oliver Hines, ably assisted by a number of enthusiastic men and women.

It is worthy to note that three Assemblies - Redemption Chapel at Canterbury and Pitfour Gospel Chapel at Pitfour, Montego Bay and Cannan Gospel Chapel, Lucea, Hanover- were established out of sacrificial work, dedication and love of Emmanuel Chapel.
The more recent past has been extremely challenging for the Assembly. Some of our stalwarts have moved on.

Presently our leaders are:
Elders: Robert Markes, Delroy Brown, Rev. Marc Mullings, J.P.; Deacons: Lincoln Bailey and Caswell Jones; Deaconess: Babrie Markes.

Last Updated on Monday, 02 April 2012 04:11
 

Virtual Library

librarybanner

Books are loaned only in Jamaica

External Links

bttb

 jcef

 mbi

 rbcm

Hit Counter

Content View Hits : 71856

This Month's Poll

What Would You Like To See More Of On This Website
 

Members Login